The ATO is where you can find the most acceptable proof of residency overseas.

Please see—individuals/

The document is called a Certificate of Residency and can be obtained by going to sending a letter or a fax or finding a tax agent.

The letter should be sent to:

Australian Taxation Office
PO BOX 3544

This address was updated on 15 June 2023. The ATO changes the address from time to time.

The letter will need to contain the following information

  • full name of the Australian resident
  • residential address of the Australian resident and postal address if different
  • date of birth (individuals only)
  • tax file number (TFN) or Australian business number (ABN) (or both)
  • country the certificate is for
  • a statement whether the Australian resident is only a tax resident of Australia or whether the Australian resident is also dual resident under the relevant tax treaty
  • period the certificate is required for – the certificate period can’t be greater than a year from the date of issue
  • number of certificates required
  • signature and date.

Please note your taxes must be up to date to release the Certificate of Residency

The Proof of Residency does not need to be notarised and can be directly apostilled.