Posted on February 24, 2021
The ATO is where you can find the most acceptable proof of residency overseas.
The document is called a Certificate of Residency and can be obtained by going to sending a letter or a fax or finding a tax agent.
The letter should be sent to:
Australian Taxation Office
PO Box 3006
PENRITH NSW 2740.
The letter will need to contain the following information
- full name of the Australian resident
- residential address of the Australian resident and postal address if different
- date of birth (individuals only)
- tax file number (TFN) or Australian business number (ABN) (or both)
- country the certificate is for
- a statement whether the Australian resident is only a tax resident of Australia or whether the Australian resident is also dual resident under the relevant tax treaty
- period the certificate is required for – the certificate period can’t be greater than a year from the date of issue
- number of certificates required
- signature and date.
Please note your taxes must be up to date to release the Certificate of Residency